- About 12 small potatoes or about 8 big potatoes (yukon gold will do)
- one cup of green beans (not canned but fresh or frozen)
- one cup of kernel tcorn (fresh of frozen)
- 1.5 cup banana squash cubed
- 1/2 big onion (purple or white depending which one you like)
- 2-3 roma tomatoes
- half a bunch of spinach
- 3-4 small carrots
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 of a red bell pepper
- 1 cup of mushrooms
- 1 1/4 cup of textured soy protein (or soy meat, textured vegetable protein)
- 1 serrano pepper
- sea salt
- pepper if you want (not a fun of adding pepper to every single dish like people do sometimes)
- Wash all of the ingredients.
- Boil potatoes, banana squash, corn and green beans in salted water until potatoes are soft. I prefer using a pressure cooker for this if you are in a hurry.
- While all ingredients in #2 are boiling get a sauté pan or frying pan add olive oil and turn the heat to med high.
- Mince or dice (depending on your cutting abilities and how much your family likes onions) the onion. Mince garlic, Serrano pepper (take out the seeds before mincing) and red bell pepper. Add to the pan and turn down the heat to medium. Cook everything until onions until they are translucent.
- Add sliced mushrooms, and sliced carrots and diced tomatoes (if you have a this is a piece of cake) and add them to the frying pan with the rest of the ingredients and cook for about 3-4 min. Turn the heat to med-low
- Boil about 2 cups of water in a sauce pan and add the soy meat. It will mandoline dehydrate in about 2 min. After that drain the meat very well and add it to the frying pan with the sliced spinach and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix very well and cook for another 2 min on med heat until everything is been incorporated very well. Make sure that the spinach keeps the green color.
- Drain the potatoes, green beans, squash and corn but leave about 1/4 of the water. Place in a big pot or bowl. Gently smash them (do not puree) you should be able to see big chunks of the ingredients. Add all of the ingredients from the frying pan to the bowl and mix gently until everything has been well incorporated. Taste and add salt if needed. Serve hot.
Ingredients: Ensalada Chilena
- 6 globe tomatoes ripe but not still hard
- half a bunch of cilantro
- 1 big yellow or white onion
- sea salt
- red wine vinegar
- grape seeded oil (Love this type of oil for salad or salad dressings) or olive oil
Preparation: Chilean Salad
- Wash all ingredients
- In chile everyone peels the tomatoes. Don't ask me why but I enjoy the peel so I leave it on in my version
- Thinly Julienne onions. In case you don't know watch the video below.
- Add the onions to a bowl with cold water and about 2 tbs of sea salt. Pressed the onions with your hands until everything has been kinda of covered with salt and the water. Leave it there for about 20 min and rinse.
- Roughly chop the cilantro
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl with salt, grape seeded oil and vinegar and mix.