Friday, September 16, 2011

Massaged Kale and Craisin Salad


Massaged Kale and Craisin Salad


This is my new favorite salad! I slightly altered it from the recipe on Melskitchencafe.com I halved the dressing and it was more than enough, and cut a few things out. This salad is Sweet, crunchy, and oh so healthy. Hope you enjoy it as much as my husband, 2 year old, and I!INGREDIENTS:
1 bunch kale
3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt or sea salt
1/4 cup finely diced red onion
1/2 cup dried cranberries/craisins (optional, but delicious)
3/4 cup small-diced apple
1/4 cup toasted sunflower seeds
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon agave

DIRECTIONS:
Wash the kale and pat it dry. Slice off the stiff stems below the leaves and continue slicing the stem away from the leaf until you have cut a thin v-shape into the kale leaf and removed the tough stem all the way up. (I save the stems for green smoothies). Stack the kale leaves two or three at a time, roll them up, and slice the leaves into thin ribbons.

Place the kale ribbons in a large mixing bowl. Add the salt and massage it into the kale with your hands for two minutes. You’ll notice the kale start to turn a darker green and the texture of the kale will begin to soften a bit.

Toss in the red onions, craisins, apples, and sunflower seeds. In a small bowl, whisk together the oil, vinegar and agave. Pour over the salad and toss. Sprinkle The salad can be refrigerated for up to a day before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I wonder if that would work with collards too. I have tons to use from my garden. I'm excited to try this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...