Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Feel-Good Granola

This granola, if prepared right, is actually a raw food. It definitely takes thought and preparation ahead of time, but I love the smell of it when it's drying, and it makes a nice breakfast "cereal" or just a snack.
The recipe calls for kefir, which is not vegan, but it notes that you can also use vinegar or lemon juice in it's place.
I got the recipe from one of my favorite blogs, Taste is Trump. I'll copy it here:

I have had a hard time finding the right granola. The bars of course have all the icky vegetable oils and high fructose corn syrup, tasty, conveniently packaged, deceptive health food. There are tons of “natural granolas” that use less refined oils and sweeteners, but still contain lower quality ingredients for a sky high price. Besides, I always feel yucky after eating any more than a handful. Come to find out, oats are SUPER high in this new common term “phytic acid.” Along with nuts that are heavy in enzyme inhibitors—this stuff is just plain hard to digest.
Granola is great to have on hand for a filling, shelf stable snack and a quick breakfast cereal. Commercial boxed breakfast cereals are dangerously toxic. It is so sad that so many people are eating these every day, sometimes twice a day, most of the time doubling or tripling the serving size. The media and FDA have pushed these boxes as health food. Sadly, even the low sugar, color-free, natural and organic brands are making us sick. The problem is with the way that the grain is processed; high temperature, high pressure. This process of extrusion destroys nutrients and fatty acids and renders the amino acids toxic.
This has been such a wonderful replacement for us. Same great sweetness, crunch and shelf life of the boxed variety with none of the awful effects. When I have this for breakfast I am so satisfied, for a long time. The food is easy to digest and the nutrients are easily absorbed because proper care is taken in the preparation. I love that I can keep this raw by dehydrating instead of baking. Do yourself a big favor and master the art of nourishing granola making.
THE MUSH
4 cups rolled grains (I use oats, barley and rye)
1/2 cup whole flax seeds
1/2 cup whole
millet
1/2 cup
kefir (vinegar or lemon juice)
5 cups water
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup
sucanat
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup raisins
1 cup previously
soaked and dehydrated walnuts
1/2 cup
sprouted kamut flour

In a large bowl, place rolled grains, flax seed and millet.
Add kefir and water, mix, cover and let soak on counter for 12 to 24 hours. The mixture will become a bowl of mush. Place mixture in a mesh strainer and rinse well. In a large bowl combine oil, sugar, syrup, cinnamon and salt. Fold in rinsed mush, coconut, raisins, nuts and flour. Spread out in a thin layer on 3 lined baking sheets. Bake on lowest oven setting until dry, turning as needed. I used my oven’s dehydrating setting which is 140 degrees and turned about every 6 -8 hours for 24 hours. The higher the heat, the more you turn and the less time it takes to dry.

2 comments:

  1. I have been wanting to dehydrate something and actually thought of doing it this week, but just haven't gotten to it. Now I have a recipe to try. I'll let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Followed your link and wanted to say I also look forward to the smell that fills my house while it is dehydrating!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...